The Old School Runescape Fire Cape is the second-best melee defense capes in the game, topped only by the Infernal Cape. With a whopping +11 defense against all kinds of attacks, it’s a must-have for any kind of hunting venture. It’s worth about 65k OSRS gold, though it’s untradeable. The value is more for calculating which items will stay protected when you’re out in the wilds.
There is only one way to get this fire cape, and that is by defeating TzTok-Jad in the TzHaar Fight Cave.
The cheapest, though rather difficult, way to clear this mini-game is through Ranged. Sure, you can do it with Melee, Magic, or even a combination of styles. A combination of Ranged and Melee is actually the best method to use, but it costs more. Focusing on Ranged lets you do damage without having to juggle too many things (weapons, potions, styles). The Ranged method has the lowest level requirements of:
- Ranged 75
- HP 75
- Prayer 60
- Defense 70
For Pures, it could be:
- Ranged 80
- HP 80
- Prayer 43
- Defense <20
You need to be able to use the Toxic Blowpipe, as it is the best weapon you can use in this trial. Use Mithril or higher darts—whichever is within your budget. If you have (or can obtain) the Twisted Bow, you may use it in the latter half of the trial, where it is more effective. Other possible weapons are the Rune Crossbow, Armadyl Crossbow, Karil’s Crossbow, and the Crystal Bow.
The latter two are more for those wealthy players, as they can be rather costly to use. The Crystal Bow also has an added bonus if you’re using the Crystal Armor. One downside to this is bringing along multiples of it, as it reverts into a Crystal Weapon Seed after 2.5k shots.
For your gear, you need to be able to maximize your Defense as you’ll be getting hit more than when you use other styles. The ideal gear set would be:
- Slayer Helm
- Necklace of Anguish
- Ava’s Assembler
- Armadyl Chestplate
- Armadyl Chainskirt
- Toxic Blowpipe/Twisted Bow
- Twisted Buckler
- Barrows Gloves
- Pegasian Boots
- Archer’s Ring
Of course, that’s going to be rather expensive to collect, so you can replace some of them with cheaper alternatives.
Some recommended potions to bring are Bastion Potions, Saradomin Brews, Prayer Potions, and Restores (1:3 ratio to brews).
You can access the TzHaar Fight Cave by going to Mor Ul Rek, located underneath the volcano on Karamja. Simpler methods include the Fairy Ring Teleport code bᐧlᐧp or the Mini-game Group Finder Teleport. The mini-game is in the outer area of the city.
You’ll be battling 63 waves of enemies, with TzTok-Jad appearing on the 63rd. Enemy combat levels will range from 22 to 702, Jad’s combat level. There are five types of enemies to fight, Tz-Kih, Tz-Kek, Tok-Xil, Yt-Mejkot, and Ket-Zek. They have their own combat styles you should match Protection Prayers to.
- Tz-Kih and Tz-Kek – none, don’t waste your points for them and use hit and run tactics to avoid the first’s drain ability
- Tok-Xil – Ranged
- Yt-Mejkot – none, use hit and run tactics (Melee if not using a safe-spot strategy)
- Ket-Zek – Magic
Generally, your safe spot is the ‘Italy Rock’ where some enemies get stuck on and you can safely snipe at them. That’s the rock on the eastern side of the area. The first few waves start out weak, and the enemies that spawn get stronger as you survive longer.
Here are some tips and actions to do:
- On wave 6, start using protection from Ranged, as Tok-Xil will start to appear
- On wave 15, you start using the Italy Rock to safe spot the Yt-Mejkot. You may also turn off the prayer, as Tok-Xil won’t appear until wave 22
- On wave 22, turn on Ranged protection again, continue safe spotting
- On wave 31, Protection from Magic should be your active Prayer until the 38th
- On wave 38, keep your Magic protection on and defeat Tok-Xil first then safe spotting the rest
- On wave 46, Tok-Xil stops spawning for the next few waves, keep up the safespot strategy
- On wave 53, Tok-Xil, Yt-Mejkot, and Ket-Zek spawn together in each wave. Keep up Magic protection, prioritize Tok-Xil first, and safespot the rest
- On wave 61, you’re almost there. Keep up the current strategies. This wave is the best place to ‘save’ by logging out. Doing so on the next wave will give you no time to prepare. TzTok-Jad will appear almost immediately if you try it on the next wave.
- On wave 62, two Ket-Zek will spawn. Take note where the orange one appeared, that’s where TzTok-Jad will enter on the next wave.
Logging out will only pause your progress. It’s like a one-time quicksave that can be done at any point in your run. Make sure you have all the supplies you need before starting!
Despite being the strongest enemy in the whole mini-game, the strategy you’ll need to employ to overcome him is quite simple. Keep out of range of his melee attack, and keep an eye out for his feet. He’ll do a Ranged attack if he stomps his feet quickly. It’s a Magic attack when he does the same but slower. Match your Protection Prayer to his attacks.
When you’ve whittled his life down to half, he’ll spawn healers. Lure them with your weapon to keep them from healing him. They attack with melee, so you can probably safespot them. You have to keep an eye out for Jad as you defeat them, though.
Once you defeat him, the OSRS Fire Cape will appear in your inventory. Be warned that if you die at the same time as he does, you won’t get the cape and you’ll have to do everything over again so be sure to pay attention to your health bar all throughout the fight!
Now that’s the only way to get an OSRS Fire Cape. If you’re having trouble, you can have someone else do it for you! It’s a popular service in marketplaces where you buy OSRS gold. You lend them your account and they’ll complete this trial for you. Otherwise, maybe you want to be the one to do it for other people. It’s a pretty lucrative service, on par with a ‘sell OSRS gold’ service. That’s up to your preference, though.
At any rate, enjoy your hard-earned OSRS Fire Cape! Don’t worry if you don’t get it on your first try. Trying again lets you learn the finer points of the mini-game that’s not covered in this article. Don’t give up!