If you’re looking for a new game to enjoy on a game night, Heads Up! is your best bet! It is the hit game from Warner Bros., which was popularized by Ellen DeGeneres herself. First seen on her TV show, this game had the viewers in stitches. Now, it is a worldwide sensation you can play with your friends and family, only needing your smartphone!
How To Play
- Heads Up! app
Objectives of the Game
Heads Up! is a great game to play with a group so you could create teams. The goal of each player is to guess the word that would pop up on the phone while holding it in his forehead. His respective team will give out clues to help him guess the word. The team with the most points at the end of the 60-second round wins!
- Find participants and divide the group into two teams.
- Team 1 selects its Guesser and a category in the app.
- The Guesser will then put the phone to his forehead, facing his teammates.
- A word will pop up, and the team members will give clues to help the Guesser get the correct answer.
- Tilt the phone forward for every correct answer to tilt a new card.
- If the Guesser finds that the word is too difficult, he can pass by tilting the phone backwards.
- After the 60-minute round, all correct answers, passes, and even a video replay of the remaining teammates will be displayed.
- Team 2 gets their turn using the given steps.
- The team with the higher number of points wins!
What makes Heads Up! exciting is that the app offers multiple categories to choose from, such as:
- Blockbuster Movies
- Animals Gone Wild
- Act It Out
- and a lot more.
Each category has its own mechanics, making the gameplay diverse. ‘Act It Out,’ for instance, requires the members to act out the words. Extremely no words are allowed, seemingly like Charades. Explore all the decks and brim your game night with hilarious moments and amusement.
Another fun part of Heads Up! is the video replay feature. The front-facing camera records the team members as they provide clues or act out the words! So, if anyone looks silly portraying a chicken or someone got ‘blank’ on giving hints, you can go back and savor the fun moment all over again.
How to Play Remotely
On vacation? Working overseas? Or, just practicing some distancing? Don’t worry! You can still play and enjoy the game with your friends and family. Since all you need is your smartphone, you can quickly play the game through Zoom or other video conferencing sites or apps.
1. Set a schedule that is amenable to all participants. Having it on a weekend night is an excellent time, as everyone is most likely free for a game session. All players must decide on a specific day and time that is conducive to everyone.
2: Prior to schedule, have all the players download the Zoom app on the device each will use for the video chat. Ask everyone to create an account for the app.
3. Every participant should also download and install the Heads Up! app.
4. Share the unique meeting ID, hop on the call on the assigned schedule, follow the same gameplay as above, and start having fun!
While Zoom is the most common choice for game nights, there are other reliable video conferencing apps you can use for the session.
Skype is a free video calling app, which is compatible with nearly all mobile phones, tablets, laptops, and desktop computers. Skype enables up to 50 people to join the video call, making it ideal for you if you have a large number of participants for your Heads Up! game night.
Facebook Messenger has a broad reach. Nearly everyone relies on Facebook Messenger to keep in touch with family and friends. Same with Skype, the app allows up to 50 people to join the call and enjoy the game.
Where to Buy
Nothing beats a classic board game, right? Well, you might be surprised that Heads Up! has its own board game version. Same gameplay, same hysterical fun you can get from its mobile app counterpart!