Scattergories is an exhilarating thinking game where players take turns and try to come up with words fit to the given category and designated letter. To succeed in the game, players must consume all their creative juices to answer as many words as possible within the allotted period. The players with the most points after the three rounds wins!
How To Play
- 48 Category Cards
- Answer Pad
- Clip Strips
- 20-Sided Letter Die
- Die Rolling Board
Before the game starts, hand each player one of the Scattegofier folders. Every folder contains a set of category lists numbered from #1 – #16. Slide these lists under the left clip of the Scattergories folder. Then, come up with a group decision on which of these lists you would like to play. Once you have decided, place the selected file on the top of the others under the left clip of the Scattergories folder.
Then, see to it that every participant has his own answering pad, which will be placed on the right-hand side of the Scattergories folder. If the player is left-handed, switch the position of the list and the answering pad.
Have each player take a pencil or a pen. Prepare the timer, and the 20-sided letter die, and you’re all set to play the game!
Objectives of the Game
The goal of the game is to fill out the category list with words that start with the chosen letter. List as many terms as you can as you would only score a point if no other player answered the same concept. Score the most points from unique and accepted answers to win the game.
- A typical game has three rounds. Choose which list # to play first. Each list has 12 categories in them.
- Determine the letter by rolling the 20-sided die. All the answers should begin with the chosen letter.
- Press the timer to start the time.
- Once the timer begins, participants should do their best to answer as many terms they can and fill in as many categories as possible. For instance, if the category is animals and the chosen letter is “A,” Ape and Armadillo are good answers. Of course, Dog and Cat are not.
- Once the timer stops, all players must raise their hands or put down their writing tools.
- Each player will take turns in dictating their answers per category. If two players have the same answer, no player gets the points, and the word must be crossed out. Only unique and accepted terms are awarded a point.
- Repeat all the steps until three rounds are completed. The player with the highest accumulated points wins.
The Scattergories game requires creativity, but there are instances where players get too crafty. With that, it’s hard to decide whether an answer is acceptable or not. If you are unsure, refer to the guidelines below to determine acceptable words or terms.
- Answers must begin with the letter shown in the die.
- The articles “a,” “an,” and “the,” are not allowed to be used under the selected letter. For instance, if you’re in the movie category, “A Bug’s Life,” will not be acceptable under the letter “A” but instead will fall under the letter “B.”
- The plural form of the words is regarded as the same with its singular form.
- No answers can be repeated, which means “Banana” cannot be used for both “Things at a Picnic” or “Types of Fruit.”
If you want to turn things more exciting, you can set the timer for a shorter period to force the players to think more rapidly and rev up with their answers.
Moreover, you can also award special points when the selected letter has been used twice on proper titles or designations, such as ‘Mickey Mouse,’ or ‘Mandy Moore’ for two points.
How To Play Remotely
There’s no excuse in enjoying the fun the Scattergories games with your friends and loved ones even if you’re far away, on vacation, working overseas, or only practicing some distancing. ScattergoriesOnline allows you to play the game remotely to pass the time and kill boredom and isolation. Each game will have one designated letter with five categories. Come up with as many words as you can under one minute!
Where to Buy
However, we’re sure nothing can topple the fun, and the thrill original board game can provide – all with those cards, real timer, and the 20-sided letter die! You can purchase one and enjoy the game any time you’d like with your friends and loved ones.